The Archdiocese of Newark’s Coronavirus Task Force continues to monitor the ongoing pandemic situation and to aggregate guiding information from federal, state and local officials. Based on the latest information shared publicly, the following are the new directives issued by Cardinal Tobin for the Archdiocese of Newark and a reminder of his prior directives still in effect.
NEW DIRECTIVES effective March 25, 2020:
- Wakes and funerals must be postponed until further notice. There are no exceptions to this, regardless of the size of the group. Burials may take place with only the priest.
- All baptisms must be postponed until further notice with the exception of an extreme emergency.
- All weddings are postponed until further notice.
- The Sacrament of Reconciliation is suspended until further notice with the exception of an extreme emergency.
- All churches and adoration chapels must be closed and locked until further notice. Private prayer in any parish building must be discontinued until further notice.
- Parish offices must be closed until further notice. Employees who provide essential services should be limited and on staggered schedules.
- Pastors should see that the Blessed Sacrament is renewed in tabernacles regularly from celebrations of private Masses.
The following directives REMAIN IN FORCE since March 18, 2020:
- All public celebrations of daily and Sunday Mass suspended until further notice.
- All public celebrations of the Sacraments and other public forms of worship suspended until further notice. This includes, but is not limited to, previously scheduled Confirmations, celebrations of First Communion, penitential services, Communion services, and Liturgies of the Word.
- Anointing of the Sick: A priest may use a cotton-tipped swab or cotton ball as an instrument to anoint the sick person.
- Holy Water should be removed from all fonts.
- Celebrations of Mass should continue via live-streaming. If you have not done so already, you are urged to enroll your parish in the archdiocesan Parish Support Initiative that provides one online platform for the faithful to support the critical needs of their parish communities and other parishes in need. Contributions also are gratefully accepted through usual channels including mailed envelopes, other online giving, Annual Appeal, etc.
- The Archdiocesan Center remains closed with limited and staggering of hours.
Catholic Schools remain closed as directed by the State of New Jersey.
- All Archdiocese of Newark Catechetical education and events sponsored by the Catholic Youth Organization (CYO) are suspended.
Dear Fellow St Lawrence Parishioners,
I am writing to ask for your support for an Archdiocese-wide initiative that Cardinal Tobin has launched to support our parish community, outreach to those in need, and parishes in response to the effects of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic on everyday life.
We are partnering with the team at GoFundMe, a leading online giving organization, to provide one online platform for the faithful to support outreach to those most in need as well as cover the critical needs of their own and other parish communities during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. This is a coordinated and unified effort. The first place people often go in time of need is the local parish. Under the current conditions brought on by the Coronavirus ( COVID-19) pandemic, parishes are limited in the services they can offer to the faithful.
Please consider making a tax-deductible contribution to our parish.
You can also donate via FaithDirect.com (Our Parish ID NJ 670).
Please say this Prayer with your family.
An Act of Spiritual Communion
I believe that You
are present in the Most Holy Sacrament.
I love You above all things,
and I desire to receive You into my soul.
Since I cannot at this moment
receive You sacramentally,
come at least spiritually into my heart. I embrace You as if You were already there and unite myself wholly to You. Never permit me to be separated from You.
Welcome to St Lawrence
Saint Lawrence is a parish family united as disciples of Jesus. We welcome all to our community of faith. Our goal is to share and foster the gospel values of worship, charity, justice and service.
We individually uncover and discover a distinctive spirituality as we live out the journey of life.
Saint Lawrence is also a stewardship parish where we generously share God’s gifts.
For all inquiries, please phone the Parish Office at (201) 863-6464.